As I write these lines in the near-end of May, summer is making its presence known with blue skies, warm sunshine, explosions of green outside my window and…incertitude.
Never in our lives, there was such a lingering time to sit down with ourselves, introspect our minds and souls, our values and principles, our lives. Many of us, faced with the blur fallen upon our futures, about our tomorrow, feel the need to return to a simpler, kinder, more authentic way of living. That, of course, starts reflecting in the way we carry ourselves, in the clothes we choose to cover our bodies with, in the food we buy and in all the new decision we now have to make.
Usually, the end of May was the time when I started shopping for festival looks, plan my summer vacation back home in the heart of Transylvania, dream about another escape on the French Riviera with my husband…today I am not sure about any of these.
All I know is that we will eventually visit our home town this summer, but that is about it. No set date, no festival outfits, no actual plans of visiting new places. And that is ok. We all need a break. Spending time with ourselves and our loved ones is enough, after all, that we have been through this year. All of us, collectively. So sit back and enjoy this slow but crazy ride. Embrace time, it is more precious than we used to believe.
And just because that is more true than we set our minds to believe, I have few cute suggestions for this summer’s fashion choices: stay simple, embrace natural fabrics, be feminine, be comfortable. Easy, right? For that, let me bring forward no less than 20 must-haves you will most certainly love.
1. The white shirt – always go for an oversized fit and a natural fabric such as cotton, linen, poplin, silk. You can even steal your partner’s! Don’t button it all up and make sure to casually roll your sleeves: you want to go for a fresh, ultra-relaxed vibe.
2. Blue Jeans – Long or short, blue jeans are here to stay. Opt for simple models, such as reworked Levi’s. My advice? Make your shorts out of an old pair of jeans – that way you will nail the perfect length that suits your body type.
3. The white T-shirt is a must-have. I own three types: a looser, boyfriend-style tee, a shorter, fitter one and a cropped style. I suggest you do the same. They work with everything!
4. The LBD. The iconic ‘little black dress’ comes in all shapes and sizes, so make sure to choose the one that is flattering for you and you only. A perfect fit is key to looking confident and sophisticated.
5. Stripes – An old summer cliché which always works wonders. I advise you to go for classical Breton stripes in black, navy or red. Keep it simple, à la française. Wear with high-waisted wide-leg black suit trousers for that je ne sais quoi.
6. White Jeans – Not everyone’s cup of tea, I know, but please give them a chance. Once again, a great fit can work on everyone, no matter your body type.
7. Floral everything. There are flower prints and…well, flower prints. There are big florals, smaller ones, colourful, monochrome, abstract, real-looking, etc. and the choice is entirely yours. Bring some sunshine into your life and authentic good vibes via this fun print!
8. Button-down dresses, or the epitome of cuteness and femininity. They come in a wide range of colours, prints, shapes and sizes and look amazing paired with sandals. The fun part? You can unbutton a few if it’s too hot.
9. The denim jacket, which now exists in thousands of shapes and colours and which can be your best friend on a chilly summer night. Easy to throw on over a cute dress, over T-shirt and shorts, it works with everything. Add some bling when it comes to accessorising to bring it to the next level (golden earrings and a cute golden necklace will do).
10. The kimono. I have always been a huge fan of Japanese kimonos. There is something so graceful, sophisticated, mysterious about them that I believe every woman should own one. You can score great vintage pieces over eBay or opt for reinterpreted ones, all you have to do is choose between a maxi or short model. Want to feel ah-mazing? Wear a long silk kimono at home with nothing underneath.
11. The phone case. Yes, you got that right. You look great, so what about your phone? Give it a new summer look with a cute and good-looking case. My go-to brands are iDeal of Sweden, Casely and Paradise Amsterdam. You’re welcome.
12. Metallic sandals – a pair of stand-out sandals can save any dull outfit. Imagine the good old blue jeans, a white tee combo plus golden sandals. Or a simple black dress paired with them – simply stunning! They can elevate ANY look.
13. Converse Chuck Taylor All Star or the shoes I’ve been spending years in on my trips around Europe in my late teens. Comfort, cool looks and a timeless vibe, these trainers have them all. Choose between the low and hi version and pair with anything from dresses and skirts to even…a suit.
14. The cardigan – this summer’s IT item, the humble cardigan is now more feminine than ever. Wear it without a bra if you dare, paired with denim shorts.
15. White leather trainers – think Common Projects or Adidas Stan Smith. The simpler, the better. Just make sure the leather is high-quality.
16. The woven bag – be it leather or straw, woven bags are timeless and also happen to be extremely IN this summer. Take inspiration from Bottega Veneta and Jacquemus when it comes to styling them.
17. The straw hat – check out Eliurpi with their masterpieces handmade in Barcelona. You’ll want every single one of them.
18. Padded/quilted sandals, if you’re a true fashionista. Make a statement with simple shapes and neutral colours.
19. The swimsuit which hugs your shape and fits your body perfectly. Whichever that is.
20. A positive attitude. It is a must-have in 2020, your smile and kindness can save lives. Be kind.
For links to the clothes presented in these images go to my Instagram @carlavadan
or on my blog – www.carlavadan.net